Owner: Sir William Bowes
Foundation Mare Family 3
Sir William Bowes (1657-1707) had his estate at Streatleam Park, County Durham, near to Middridge Grange where the Byerley Turk stood in his early years as a stallion. The Victoria & Albert Museum houses the Bowes Cup (1675-1676), one of only eight two-handled cups in gold surviving from the reign of Charles II. Its maker, German born goldsmith Jacob Bodendick, was under the personal patronage of the King. The cup is engraved with the arms and motto of Sir William Bowes and his wife, Elizabeth Blakiston of Gibside. It is probably a racing trophy won by Sir William.
Dam of top class racehorses True Blue (1716 King's Plates Nottingham, Lincoln, York, Newmarket; of Young True Blue (1724 King's Plates York, Lewes, Newmarket, 1725 King's Plate Newmarket; and of Sister to True Blue, through which Family 3 descends to the present day.
Also known as Dam of the Two True Blues and Bowes Byerley Turk Mare(CLOSE)