First called Farmer, he was bred in Yorkshire by Cuthbert Routh (1694-1752) at Snape Castle, near Bedale, and owned in partnership with Routh's trainer Thomas Jackson [Early Records:52]. In 1750 he was sold for 300 guineas to the Earl of Portmore who changed his name to Skim.
He raced for four seasons winning from two to four miles. He was in the stud until at least 1766, alongside such stallions as Oroonoko, Steady and Highlander, commanding a fee of 5 guineas. The Earl of Portmore had property located near Hampton Court, and the stallions stood either there or at Hampton Court.