He was imported to England in November, 1657, from Aleppo by Nicholas Baxter, the King's Gentleman of Horse [C.M. Prior Early Records of the Thoroughbred Horse; c.f. Hore, Vol. II, p. 213], although it's possible he arrived via France. Rowland Place was the Master of the Horse to the Lord Protector of the Commonwealth, and upon Cromwell's death in 1658, Place took the horse home to his family seat, the estate at Dinsdale, on the Durham - Yorkshire border, just ten miles from the D'Arcy stud at Sedbury.